Sfoglini Pasta Porcini Trumpets
About: A fresh purée of porcini mushrooms are added to Sfoglini's signature organic semolina for a subtle earthy flavor that makes a unique pairing to any dish.
Ingredients (*Organic): *Durum Semolina Flour, Water, Porcini Mushrooms. Net Wt 16 oz.
Mushroom Ragu with Sfoglini Porcini Trumpets
A true delight for any mushroom lover! This sauce combines 4 types of mushrooms with aromatics and cream, making it a decadent pairing for our Porcini Trumpets. Makes 4 servings.
- 1 lb. Sfoglini Porcini Trumpets
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (about 1 cup), finely diced
- 1 medium parsnip (about ½ cup), finely diced
- 1-2 ribs celery (about ½ cup), finely diced
- 1 medium carrot (about ½ cup), finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups baby portobello mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 ½ cups shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced or slightly chopped into large pieces
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup heavy or light cream
Heat four quarts of salted water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Cook Sfoglini Porcini Trumpets until al dente, approximately 5-8 minutes. Reserve 1 cup pasta water for sauce before draining.
Use a strand of kitchen twine to tie together the thyme, rosemary and sage. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, parsnips, celery and carrots to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tied herbs and all of the mushrooms to the pan and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms soften and release some juices. Stir in the tomato paste, cook 2 minutes, and then add the red wine and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the tied herbs and stir in the cream. Add the pasta to the pan, stirring gently to coat with the sauce, and adding small amounts of reserved pasta water if needed for consistency.